1980s era patterns are very hit or miss for me. Sometimes the sizing works out well, other times there is so much ease and in such odd places that I struggle to make my garment fit in any kind of nice way. This blouse was a luckily easy success for fit. The pattern, Simplicity 8496, attracted me because of its curious sleeves, which give it an interesting and unusual wing-like shape. I made the blouse out of bleached muslin from JoAnn fabric stores, which has softened as it has been washed so that the folds have a gentle drape. I made view 6 in a size 8, with no adjustments. The buttons I used were cut off of an old shirt that was stained and ready to be made into a cleaning rag. I keep a folder with little bags for buttons, and when a garment from my side of the closet or my husband’s gets to a state where it isn’t wearable, mendable, or re-usable, I cut off the buttons and save them for re-use in future sewing projects. There is so much more variety in buttons off of used shirts, dresses, vests, and coats than what I can find in the single aisle devoted to buttons at the local JoAnns. I’ve also found some beautiful buttons in the big grab-bags of them that are sometimes sold at thrift stores, including metal buttons, big buttons, tiny buttons, mother-of-pearl buttons, and all kinds of curious and pretty varieties of plastic buttons.
As an aside, I am wearing my Simplicity 8496 blouse with another version of my favorite Simplicity 7880 skirt pattern----this one is made up in black poly-cotton broadcloth, and although you can’t see the hem in these photos, it goes down to about mid-calf.
Mr and Mrs Rat
Mr and Mrs Rat like to sew.